While I'll never turn down an opportunity to drink a marg, I couldn't help but wonder: What is the significance of May 5th. So, here are 5 facts you can impress your friends with at your fiesta, plus the recipe for the most amazing margarita ever - the DASH-arita. Olé!
1. Contrary to popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is NOT Mexico's independence day
Mexico did achieve a major victory against the French at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862
2. Cinco de Mayo is NOT a federal holiday in Mexico, but it IS a federal holiday in the U.S.
3. According to Produce News, Americans eat 81 million pounds of avocados on Cinco de Mayo
4. Mole Poblano is the official dish of the holiday
5. FDR helped commercialize Cinco De Mayo and brought the holiday stateside
And now for the BEST Margarita you'll ever have: The DASH-arita:
1 1/2 ounces silver tequila
1 ounce Cointreau
3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
A dash of prickly pear syrup
Lime wedge and coarse salt for rimming the glass
We highly recommend enjoying this cocktail with good friends and the Coral Easy Tote 2